Snippets of life

Welcome to Crazytown - Seriously, it's crazy here.

Monday, September 04, 2006

Potty Mouthed Bitch

I am an avid user of profanity. I know it is not attractive, but in my defense, I only use it when it carries weight. I try not to just throw words out there unecessarily - I like to use them to their fullest power.

That being said, we cooked out at some friend's house this weekend. He had some friends in town and wanted us to meet them. "Bob" came with his two daughters ages 12 and 7. His wife chose to stay at home. In another state. Um, I thought that was pretty weird.

"Bob" cusses alot. Which usually doesn't bother me, but he did it in front of his kids. And my kids. I try to really curtail my language in front of my kids and do a pretty good job of it. "Bob" used the F-word no less than 5 times in front of all the kids. Not to mention all the other lovely words that he used. If he had been at my house, I would have asked him to watch his language in a polite way. Since we too were guests, I just tried to keep my kids out of the room and we made a fairly early exit. We weren't rude, but we didn't stay as late as we would have if I hadn't been in fear of my kids getting expelled today at school for following in "Bob's" footsteps.

Also, the people whose house we were at didn't ask him to be more careful either. And this was early in the evening before everyone began to get their buzz on. I can only imagine how it progressed.

I am funny about my kids language - they can't use "butt," "Oh my God" or "ain't." I know that last one isn't a cuss word, but it bugs me really really badly. The others are just tacky and white trashy. They of course cannot use any of the other cuss words either. And they get in trouble when they do, so it was hard to sit and watch this guy talk like he did. I would glance at his daughters when he would let one fly - expecting them to be shocked. But no, they didn't even blink. Bob was a funny guy and we would have really enjoyed hanging around him without the kids present. But I was uncomfortable with my kids hearing all that.

So as I win another star on my "Parent of the Year" Certificate, I say to all you skeptics who think I parent horribly: "Screw you, Bitches."

2 Comments:

  • At 9:08 PM, Blogger Ronni said…

    I don't think it's expecting too much for the adults in your kids' vicinity behave like adults.

    I probably would have done the same thing. I might have had some choice words to say on my way out the door. Nothing nasty, but I'd have to let them know that I, personally, found him boundlessly amusing, but kind of "over the top," as far as kids were concerned. I think it's good for your kids to know that you'll stand up for them. And stick your neck out for the values that you are trying to teach them.

    By staying, you are definitely condoning it.

    'Tis a dilemma, to be sure!

     
  • At 1:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That was just appalling behaviour, especially in the home of another person.

    I am pathetic about the word "what", it is the little things!

    You were within your rights to ask the man to tone it down, Justin, especially in front of your children, but I do understand your reluctance.

    Sounds as though the wife is embarrassed to go anywhere with him...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home