Snippets of life

Welcome to Crazytown - Seriously, it's crazy here.

Monday, June 12, 2006

Why I Like Men

I prefer the company, usually, of men to that of women. Men are more laid back, less critical and less bitchy (unless they are sick). Women, for the most part - not all of them, are way too busy worrying about what the other women think and being jealous of them. Silly and a complete waste of time.

Now, I get along well with women who are comfortable in their skin, who know who they are and are not concerned about what anyone thinks. It annoys me to no end when you see a group of women at lunch, for example, and a pretty woman walks by. The group immediately begins to tear apart her clothes, her hair, her make-up, etc. It is ridiculous and shows nothing but their insecurities. How hard is it to simply acknowledge that there will always be someone prettier, thinner, smarter and richer than you - big hairy deal. I would love to be thinner and richer - who wouldn't - but I am not going to make rude comments about some thinner and wealthier girl I might see at some restaurant that I don't even know! What a waste of time - who has the energy for that much negativity?

Given my penchant for sarcasm, I know that is difficult for some of you to grasp. I; however, rarely waste my gift of sarcasm on people I don't know - they can't appreciate it. I prefer to blast my loved ones and friends with it occasionally, just to keep them in line.

Now, back to why I like men. I can sit and drink a cold beer and talk sports with men. They understand the inner drive to compete and even play hurt. They get it. I have a friend, bless her heart, she lives in a bubble. The boys had "Wear your favorite college team" shirt to school one day. She called "Are the Cleveland Browns a college team?" Now her son is playing t-ball - she calls the innings "quarters." I have so very much to teach her.

I like men bacause they don't hold grudges - they don't get pissy. I like men who don't put up with any bullshit. I like men who wear the pants in the family (like my dear Pants does). I like men that run the show, protect their wives and children and will tell someone to watch their mouth when their kids are with them. I like men who are not afraid of showing a little weakness here and there and I like men who can cry without being ashamed. If you can watch Ole Yeller or The Lou Gehrig Story with a guy and he doesn't cry - he has no soul.

I guess because I earned the moniker of being a tomboy at a very young age, I was always accepted by the guys. I was the cool chick. I wasn't trying to play dumb and flirt with them (atleast they didn't know I was flirting) - I was their friend. While sometimes in high school that made for boring Friday nights, I could never be the ditzy cutesy type. I would much rather just sit and discuss when and if Ralph Sampson was ever going to bring the NCAA Champ title home to UVA. FYI - nope, he never did. Choked, bigtime.

I think that with all my casual friendships and conversations with men, it allowed me to see how they work much more clearly. They are pretty simple, really. They like to be appreciated. They can't read our minds - if you want something from your spouse, you have to specifically ask for it. Leave the ad on the table with a big circle around what it is you want. Hints do not work.

Men are just easier to be around - there is no agenda, no shuffling for power and no sizing up the "competition." I absolutely love it when Pants has a game and I go to watch him play. I adore all his teammates - they are all great guys who would do anything for you. I like to watch him in his element and the fact that he is a great ball player doesn't hurt either. Best first baseman in the city - I swear. Men are easy to be around - get them a cold beer, talk about their interests, throw in a good joke and relax.

Maybe that's the whole thing - I can relax around men. I don't feel like I am being critiqued and compared. Plus, I can cuss and even burp around some of them - they do not care. There is totally something positive about being one of the guys. You can just be yourself. I guess it could be a drawback if Pants wasn't so secure in our relationship. He is not threatened by the fact that I get along well with men. He knows that I think the sun rose and set in him - I am not going anywhere. Pants is the only one for me without a doubt and he knows that I can joke with his friends and that is all it is.

God knew what he was doing - despite my protests - when he gave me two sons. I wouldn't have known what to do with a girl - other than teach her how to play ball.

2 Comments:

  • At 5:07 PM, Blogger Ronni said…

    Is it OK to be equal opportunity catty? I tear chunks out of everyone, regardless of gender or any other criterion.

     
  • At 2:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I feel okay in the company of both, Justin.

    But then, I only have a handful of friends. Unfortunately, on occasion, I will comment on a stranger's choice of 'look', but only with someone I trust.

    My pet hate, is the 'bleached white' hair. I just don't get it! Highlights look so much better. IMHO.

    Other than that, I couldn't give a toss!

    Just holding my hands up to my faults.

    If you think this may offend, please delete, Justin

     

Post a Comment

<< Home