Snippets of life

Welcome to Crazytown - Seriously, it's crazy here.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Basics for the Customer Service Industry

In light of my last post, I would like to list my top 10 things I think are basic necessities for those who work in the service industry. That would include McDonald's, Lowe's, Walmart, etc. - anywhere that it is your job to either serve or wait on people.


1) Breath mints

2) "Thank you" Really people, it's not that hard to say. After all, I just contributed to your paycheck.

3) No gum chewing - AT ALL. Even if you are able to chew it without smacking, I don't want to see it flopping around in your mouth.

4) Please stop flirting with the 16 year old checker and just sack my damn groceries. Oh, and hey Einstein, bread should go somewhere near the top, ya think?

5) If I have two baskets of groceries and two small kids, yes, you might want to push the cart to my car and load them. It's part of your job.

6) If I am still sitting at the drive thru window after you shut it (without saying Thank you) chances are you have either forgotten something or screwed up my order. Don't open the window and say "Huh?" or "What?"

7) "May I help you?" See #6 also.

8) If I ask you where the rat tail files are, and you don't know, ask someone who does. Do not just send me to "plumbing" because even I know they aren't in that department.

9) Smile occasionally - I want to be in your store even less than you do. I'm not getting paid for being there.

10) And for the grand finale...... Do not comment that someone has a weird name. I will accept "That's unusual" or even "That's a pretty name" but better yet, just shut your piehole. I know, trust me, I already know.


** I reserve the right to add to this list, especially after I venture out for lunch today.

2 Comments:

  • At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Don't you just hate it when you get a bagger that obvioulsy flunked Bagging 101?

    You know this if you get home and discover a can peaches in the same bag with your vine ripened tomatoes.

     
  • At 1:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That cracked me up, Justin!

    I think they get trained to be ignorant.

    Most times I get a really kind person at the checkout. On the other occasions, I can feel myself getting quite panicky and fustrated at my slow packing skills (we don't have packers, here).

    The reason being; the check-out lady has scanned my goods at the speed of light, while I struggle to pack. Then, she stands and taps her nails waiting for payment, instead of helping. BTW, they are supposed to ask if you need help packing. That is the motto of this particular Store. Suppose, I'm just a wimp!

    If there is no-one else in the queue, I'm fine. I go even slower.

    Good morning!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home